Saturday, August 21, 2010

Day 67

Mileage: 1,282+
.
Flat Tires: 6
.
.
.
When I cranked over the 1,000 mile mark I thought I would have something bold and sexy to write about. Something like you would sit down to watch on the evening news and say "Wow, that was intense."
.
But the 1,000 mile marker was on a nice short 9 mile ride to work. It's beauty lay in it's monotonous regularity, not in a thrilling chase or a huge mountain as a barrier.
.
Nope, I was cranking on level ground.
.
Truth-be-told, it has been difficult to come up with anything all that sensational. I wake up, ride somewhere... do something... come home. Cars generally give me a decent cushion. The weather has been ideal. People wave and I am about 50/50 on catching green lights. Occasional flat tires are about it.
.
67 Days without riding in a car has been great, just not all that sensational. I love riding most days. More often than not I take the long way home. I pass birds and insects that I can hear and enjoy. I smell pleasant things, like nature and flowers... I also smell road kill and sewage. Each has their moment. It is a slower pace and gives me time to reflect.
.
It has been more of an inner journey than a societal challenge, which I originally imagined it to be. I hope I never forget the beauty of the bike.
.
But it is a simple thing, and doesn't seem all that news/blog worthy. It is more a feeling than an event.
.
I am lucky I figured this part out of who I am. If you are keeping track at home, that would be one thing in the "figured" column and a whole bunch of stuff in the "still confusing column".
.
I talk to a lot of people about getting around solely by a bicycle, and most people are interested in hearing about it... but go on to say that they really don't like bikes that much. Hey, to each their own. The bike will be there if they change their minds.
.
As for me, I will keep cranking. 1282 fun filled miles down and I am looking forward to many more.
.
Till next time.
.
One revolution at a time,
.
Ben

1 comment:

  1. Interesting read! Clearly, the decision in and of itself to undertake this challenge/journey says as much, if not more about you, than the discoveries that ensue during the process. Self awareness and introspective wanderings are often best found during times of isolation, which I would imagine much of your biking consists of, blessedly so in a hectic world.
    Good to read, hope all is well with you and Katie.

    ReplyDelete