Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Day 206 Part 1




































Pictures:
Upper Left: Pine Creek trail in PA
Upper Right: Katie and I start out
Next tier Left: Arrive in NYC
Next tier Right: The steepest hill ever
Bottom left: Trail at Titusville
To the Right: Loaded up Bike
Bottom Right: My home away from home

Well, it has been a long time. Most of you must have figured I had stopped the year by bicycle and moved on. Not yet. It has been 207 days... 3,800 miles... 23 flat tires... 1 blow out... 2 chain breaks... 6 different tires... a basket that had to be re-welded... and two bum knees. But I am kickin.
Let me start where I left off. I had just rolled over the 1,000 mile marker. Then I stopped writing. Honestly I didn't have a whole lot of stuff to say. The summer was rough. I was working at a bike shop and it just wasn't me. The owner never rode, the other guy that worked there was same same, and all they did was complain. So all I did was complain about them. I was miserable.

I thought this summer was going to be my summer. I would figure out life, figure out my purpose, and rock it like never before. I was wrong.

At the end of the summer Katie and I sat down and tried to right the ship. We weren't happy in Meadville, so we applied to the Peace Corps. We were accepted on the condition we could pass a spanish exam. We were ready. We studied about 7-8 hours a day for three straight weeks. And the crazy thing is we passed. It was like a walk off home run in the bottom of the ninth. We were in it to win it.

I also decided that the bike shop was not for me. Why work on bikes if you don't love it? I said peace and bounced. I had been given an opportunity to build some bamboo bikes in NYC and then teach a workshop at a museum in Pittsburgh. Those guys loved bikes, and I knew it was what I needed.

So I loaded the bike and prepared for the journey. Katie rode with me for the first two days, but then she had to get back to school. So off I set. It was amazing. I took my time. I went weird places. I slept in woods, fields, and by rivers. I jumped in the water, I stopped to check stuff out. I reconnected with biking. Funny to say because I had been on the bike all summer. Somehow working at the shop made me forget why I worked on bikes. Then after mile 335 on my adventure to NYC I remembered. I like to ride.

I arrived in NYC pretty beat, but it was a good beat. Got right into the projects going on. It was two of the busiest weeks I can remember. We had two workshops, we wrote a manual, and Katie came out to visit. I slept on the roof with a view of Manhattan. Built bikes, built stuff to send to the factory in Ghana, and made some really good friends. It was by far the most purpose I had felt all year.
I was back on track now. I had a nice trip. Built some bikes. Reconnected with who I was. Was preparing for Peace Corps again. My two weeks were up and it was time to ride back home... the long way of course.

1 comment:

  1. Ben, I hope your cycling is going well.. I wonder where you are now. Anyways, me and my friend Nick worked in your studio last summer building a bicycle trailer/hook-up. Do you remember me?

    I am planning to be in Meadville for part of the summer again and was wondering if you will be too. I'd like to help out with the bicycle cooperative you have going on in town. If you're in the Peace Corps by that time or you are planning to be in Meadville, I'd like to help out in some way and learn and work on some bikes!

    Let me know! My e-mail is: buchanb@allegheny.edu

    ReplyDelete