Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Week 2 (Day#12)

Mileage (week): 169.6
Mileage (to date): 277.8
.
.
.
WEEK #2
I saw it coming. Who didn't? It was right in front of me and sweeping my way. There was no way around this one. It was time. I put my head down, told myself it would be ok, and cranked.
.
It was time to get drenched.
.
On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero. (Fight Club) Kind of reminds us that life is temporary, enjoy it while you can. In the same theme, if you bike enough days you are bound to get wet. I will appreciate those dry and sunny days with the wind at my back and the time to take the long way home (I swear). But when it comes time to get wet, I will put my head down and endure.
.
Mind you, I am not talking about a sprinkle that superficially gets you uncomfortable. I am talking about the rain that seeps into your soul. The kind that just doesn't let up all day. The kind you would be better off jumping into a pool, maybe then there would be a floating island with the drinks that have small umbrellas in them.
.
Needless to say, this weeks theme is rain. It came down in one form or another five out of the last seven. But onward I ride.
.
This morning was particularly acute. I had to get to work by 9:00am. No way around it if I want to be gainfully employed. It was raining when I started, and was poring when I finished. Made me question whether it was worth it. In Zambia, rain is a perfectly legitimate excuse for just about anything. If nature isn't predicable why should I be? Seriously.
.
But it is worth it. Cycling is worth it. I feel good, full of energy. Ready to give all to the idea that people can get around without a car. Sure, you will have to reorganize a few things, but it will be worth it.
.
Even if you get soaked.
.
THIS WEEKS REASON TO RIDE
#6. Monday was beautiful. I took the long way. The wind seemed to be with me both ways. The sun was out, but not too hot. People came out of their houses just to wave. Monday the road was mine and even the woodchucks stopped to cheer me on. The birds seemed to follow me with their song. I would have missed it in a car.
.
RIDE ALONG
Giving a shout out to Katie and Annie, who cycled along for several of those miles. They loved it, at least when it didn't rain. Katie and I even jumped a fence, lived on the wild side, and crossed the forbidden bridge. I think she has the pictures. Turned out to be a great ride. Even saw a guy in the middle of nowhere building a bicycle wheel.
.
Let me know how your cycling adventures are going.
.
One revolution at a time.
.
Ben

No comments:

Post a Comment