Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Week 4 (Day 26)

Mileage (Week): 109
Mileage (To-Date): 541
.
.
.
WEEK #4
I could see the faces of the people as I passed them on my bicycle. Some were amazed, some were frustrated, and one special young man was digging for gold. I could tell that they were all jealous, except for maybe the guy picking his nose, he looked like he was enjoying himself.
.
This week I may not have put on the miles, but I passed some cars. 72 cars in total (of course I counted)... and they didn't even pass me later.
.
Go ahead, say it. I am the man.
.
Well that or they were stopped waiting to park at the hot air balloon festival. Interpret as you see fit.
.
Bikes are the way to go in traffic jams. Wink.
.
I also experienced my first two bike sacrifices. #1) Katie's parents came to visit this weekend. Friday night we all stayed in Meadville and Saturday they arranged to see our cabin, which is about 10 miles away. There was only a couple hours between events, so it was a short trip (no big deal for people who ride in cars). It only took them about 15 minutes by car each way. It takes me about an hour. It means I would have been at the cabin with them for about 15 minutes, and would have cycled for 2 hours. I ended up staying in Meadville and waiting for them to get back. Not a big deal, but I thought I would mention it.
.
#2) A local business helped to organize a bicycle drive (Juniper Village... Thanks again!). It was a lot of fun, and we ended up gathering 25 bikes. Awesome! But the business was downtown and it was up to me to get them 3 miles up the hill. For those people that have cars and trucks it is no big deal to toss them in the back and take a few trips. It is much more daunting on a bicycle. I had to ask for help. I like to be independent, so it was tough to ask at first. Katie, Mom, and Mr. Smith helped to transport the bikes. They were all very cheerful and very helpful. THANK YOU KATIE, MOM, AND MR. SMITH.
.
THIS WEEKS REASON TO RIDE
#8
One bicycle ......................................................................: 948 dollars (Hey, its made out of Bamboo)
Clothes to wear................................................................: 38 dollars (no birthday suits)
Bungee cord......................................................................: 3 dollars (hold my bag on the rack)
Seeing the looks on peoples faces as you pass them...: 989 dollars (Shove it VISA!)
.
RIDE ALONG
A shout out to Juniper village for helping put on the bike drive. We now have 75 bikes (depending on what you classify as a bicycle) in the basement. Need to work harder on getting them out there.
.
A shout out to the volunteers and people who donated their time and bicycles this week. It was a good time. Thank you!
.
One revolution at a time.
.
Ben

2 comments:

  1. I love that you're doing this! We're in the area for the summer and are hoping that we see you out on your bike. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben:

    http://www.onpointradio.org/2010/05/cyclist-culture

    I was going to try to give the show to you on a flash, but it was complicated. I hope you find time to check this out; I think you'll enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete